Yospace has commissioned research into attitudes towards personalised advertising in the online world, with a particular focus on live channels in TV Everywhere services. The research, conducted by Censuswide, was carried out on 2001 consumers across 17 major cities in the UK.
Some of the key findings are listed below. Click the image to see the full infographic.
Viewers showed a keen interest in ads that were relevant to their geographical location, age and interests:
- 88% of audiences do watch the adverts during live TV
- 78% more likely to take notice if they’re personally targeted
- 38% of 16-24 year old “millennials” definitely take notice of personalised advertising
Viewers are more likely to respond positively to an advert that is personally relevant:
- 55% are likely or very likely to look online for a product if an ad was targeted towards them personally
- The majority of consumers (62%) said they had already taken follow-up action after seeing an advert while watching TV
- More than three quarters (78%) said they would be likely to some degree to look in store for the product being advertised
Millennials driving interactivity:
- Nearly 4 of 5 under 35s take follow-up action to personalised advertising
- Across all age groups, 64% of respondents said they were likely to some degree to click on an advert they like online, climbing to 76% in the under 35 age range
Consumers expect an excellent, relevant user experience:
- One in five people said they found it most annoying that the adverts were irrelevant to them personally
- 28% of viewers find multiple ads before a programme or channel starts is the most annoying element of adverts
- One quarter of respondents (25%) said they would consider switching channels when faced with technical problems in adverts on live OTT channels
- Nearly one fifth (19%) said they would think less of the broadcaster if there were technical issues
In response to the poll results, Tim Sewell, CEO, Yospace says: “The results send a strong message to broadcasters that personalised advertising is one of the most effective tools to enhance broadcaster/viewer relationships. It is perhaps unsurprising that the millennials are leading the charge for more personalised and targeted ads. This generation is used to online experiences in which content is served that is highly relevant to individual interests.
“Live streaming is evolving and many forward-thinking broadcasters are already using server-side Dynamic Ad Insertion to deliver targeted and personalised promotions in a way that combines with excellent user experience. The combination of great user experience, relevance and interactivity paves the way for broadcasters to generate more ad revenues from live television than ever before.”